Monday 27 October 2008

Apple Day





Yesterday it was to Apple day at Borough market.

Before receiving the apple day flyer from the market I didn't know about apple day but having looked into it I think it's a fantastic idea.

It was established by Common ground in 1990 as 'a way of celebrating and demonstrating that variety and richness matter to a locality and that it is possible to affect change in your place'. You can read more about it here. There is also an Apple source book if apple day inspires you into cooking many appley recipes.

It was a rainy day but I had great fun at Borough Market's apple day. We walked from Waterloo along the south bank past lots of my favourite places, the national theatre, tate modern, the globe and the little houses next to it. Then onto the cobbles past Sir Francis Drakes's ship and the Medieval prison and into the market. It's a walk I often take but it never dissapoints.

We had apple fritters from Fish and cups of piping hot mulled cider and wine and celebrated all things apple and harvest.

Then it was on to Covent Garden for roast lamb and our thoughts turned from harvest to Christmas as the day turned to night.

Apples picture courtesy of www.herdaily.com

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like a lovely day. I wish I could have attended the apple celebration.

The Daily Connoisseur said...

Mmmmm... apple fritters... and then roast lamb! That sounds like an amazing day for food. I am back in California now but loved my trip to England- you are so lucky to live there!

PS- Jena and I have both tagged you :)

Rose said...

Hi Jena- yes it was lovely- really relaxing too. It made me want to wear apple perfumes but I don't own any!

Rose said...

Hi Daily- the apple fritters and lamb were great. We walked so much I think we worked up quite an appetite.

Yes last week was a crazy week for me so I haven't had as much time on the internet but I am very happy to have been tagged and will repy as soon as I can.