Tuesday 29 September 2009

500 Days of Summer



500 Days of Summer begins by telling us that this isn't a normal love story and that is doesn't end with the boy and girl living happily ever after, or even together ever after. In the same way I am going to begin this review by saying that I really enjoyed this film. I know my film reviewer of choiceMark Kermode didn't enjoy this, I know some people might find it twee or glib or whatever but I kind of loved it.

What did I enjoy about it?

Well I found Joseph Gordon-Levitt totally charming- and disarming. I empathised with his character from the beginning of the film. The character is obviously semi, if not wholly (anyone who has seen the opening credits will get that), autobiographical and I guess it's just a sweet performance because his willingness to pummelled and shamed by this girl , the Sid to his Nancy, never became annoying to me.

It's also so nice to empathise so completely with a youngish male character, it felt like his angst was exactly the angst I reguarly have when I am around new men.

I, unlike Mr. Kermode, find Zooey Deschanel's kookiness appealing- and I always love what she's wearing- like every other girl. Actually though I liked her character Summer, I didn't necessarily like the way she treated Tom- but it was quite realistic because we don't always treat everyone we meet as we should.

The soundtrack is brilliant- particularly if you like depressing British pop music as they say in the film.

The ending certainly isn't unhappy- it's just not the standard ending for a romantic film. I went in to the film happy and came out happier- which can't be bad.

500 Days of Summer picture from www.allposters.co.uk

5 comments:

Top Bird @ Wee Birdy said...

Great review, I'm going to have to check it out. xx

Marie said...

I really want to see this, especially because the screen writer wrote this about his time at LSE where I was also a student!

The Daily Connoisseur said...

I loved this movie... one of my favorites of the summer!

Rose said...

Hi Top Bird- let me know what you think if you see it- it might just be me- although I'm sure you'll love Zooey's clothes- and her apartment.

Hi Marie- I didn't know that about the LSE, that makes sense about the British music references then. I just thought the screenwriter must have eclectic taste. If he is anything like as lovely as the character he wrote then I would like to meet him!

Rose said...

Hi Daily- it's great isn't it- he is so wonderful. I thought the character at the end (I don't want to spoil anything) wasn't what I'd expect, but that's the point really isn't it.